FIXED--Fiber Art Pt 2 - the process (with stop motion)

Post whatever art you make here folks, we want to see it!
YarnLock

Post by YarnLock »

Ok so this is about as basic as I can make but it's a test to see if I can even figure out how to do stop motion, and also shows how I crochet a picture.

Half ass done, had to wrangle kids at the same time, but took about 2.5 hrs from start to finish

https://youtu.be/-yhK6reTa7o

YarnLock wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:56 pm
Ok so since yarn art takes a while, I tried to make a quick example. Should have tested it out with a couple pics first because it ended up cutting off part of the pics

If anyone has input on stop motion, would be much appreciated!

Be gentle, this was a first attempt

https://youtu.be/cLcfwgRkCDA
Last edited by YarnLock on Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Peach
Site Admin

Re: Turning picture into yarn (lots of mistakes)

Post by Peach »

so its basically pixel art with yarn? thats pretty cool

YarnLock

Re: Turning picture into yarn (lots of mistakes)

Post by YarnLock »

For pictures yes. I can out almost anything on a graph and turn it into a picture. The bigger/more colors, the more complicated

YarnLock

Post by YarnLock »

Ok so this is about as basic as I can make but it's a test to see if I can even figure out how to do stop motion, and also shows how I crochet a picture.

Half ass done, had to wrangle kids at the same time, but took about 2.5 hrs from start to finish

https://youtu.be/-yhK6reTa7o

Samegame

Re: FIXED--Fiber Art Pt 2 - the process (with stop motion)

Post by Samegame »

This looks so much better!

YarnLock

Post by YarnLock »

Samegame wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:25 am
This looks so much better!
Yea it took me way too long to realize the pictures were upside down 🤦‍♀️ I'm glad I thought to rotate. It was worth the extra time going over each picture to fix it, a couple slides are still upside down but I'm not going thru 106 pics to find 2 🤷‍♀️

Courgette

Post by Courgette »

This looks super cool already, love the idea.

The main thing to take it to the next level would be getting the yarn-work itself to stay at exactly the same position in the frame while it grows in size. You could consider marking the floor underneath with some tape so that you know where to place the one corner of the yarn-work. That way it won't shift around so much.

If you really want to get specific you could get a trial of Dragonframe (or obtain it through other ways..) and use your laptop/pc for actual onionskins of the previous frames. It's great software, makes stop-motion a lot of fun.

edit: I'd also consider having your frame a little wider, so that you're ensured to get the entire completed yarn work in the picture when you're done. You can always crop in digitally if you'd like it closer. It would even allow you to add a little digital zoom or pan.

YarnLock

Post by YarnLock »

Courgette wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:20 am
This looks super cool already, love the idea.

The main thing to take it to the next level would be getting the yarn-work itself to stay at exactly the same position in the frame while it grows in size. You could consider marking the floor underneath with some tape so that you know where to place the one corner of the yarn-work. That way it won't shift around so much.

If you really want to get specific you could get a trial of Dragonframe (or obtain it through other ways..) and use your laptop/pc for actual onionskins of the previous frames. It's great software, makes stop-motion a lot of fun.

edit: I'd also consider having your frame a little wider, so that you're ensured to get the entire completed yarn work in the picture when you're done. You can always crop in digitally if you'd like it closer. It would even allow you to add a little digital zoom or pan.
Hot damn! You're a useful dude

The frame was a big mistake, it was a spur of the moment thing so I just put the table under a counter so I could prop my phone on it and I used the stylus button for a remote trigger

The pics were perfect up til I imported them and it cut part off 😂

I'll look into dragonframe! For that I just used "stop motion studio" on my phone. It seems good but also pretty basic

I need a better setup if I keep trying tho, I had to set it up by a window for good lighting

Thanks for your input!
Attachments
20200619_185507.jpg
20200619_185507.jpg (9.19 MiB) Viewed 8694 times