What are you guys up to nowadays?

Don't spam here. We don't care if it's your birthday.
Carrot

Re: What are you guys up to nowadays?

Post by Carrot »

Lemming wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:49 am
Carrot wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:35 pm
I've worked in the local timbermill the last 5 years and love it, keep fit and keep the fuck away from any customers.
Was going to say, you're looking pretty fit on your IG. Well done man.
cheers fella
checked out a couple of your youtube videos, seems like you got a good thing going mate

Lemming

Post by Lemming »

Carrot wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:27 am
cheers fella
checked out a couple of your youtube videos, seems like you got a good thing going mate
Yeah it's not too bad. Covid-19 aside, life's peachy.
boats and hoes

Samegame

Post by Samegame »

Hey Oliver! Sorry about not staying in contact last time you reached out, I was super fucking depressed. I miss the fuck out of you dude, is there a way we can keep in contact?
Last edited by Samegame on Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carrot

Post by Carrot »

Lemming wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:02 am
Carrot wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:27 am
cheers fella
Yeah it's not too bad. Covid-19 aside, life's peachy.
at least ya aint dead friend

Mp3 Lock

Post by Mp3 Lock »

I've been busy working in data structures and whatever in the corporate world, I am sort of one of those guys who writes 100 little scripts to do even the smallest mundane tasks so I can streamline my life as much as possible. You would be amazed at how antiquated some mega-sized companies are.

Covid sort of put all that on hold and now I am on a form of temporary paid leave, so I have a lot of free time at the moment.

I sort of got to live like a NEET due to covid, which has been a nice break, to be honest I was starting to feel burnt out after going hard on work for 5 years straight.

pumpkin

Post by pumpkin »

Thanks for all the condolences, you guys are great ;). We're fine now though. We came to the conclusion that it might've been too early for us to have a kid anyways.
TrashLock wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:57 pm
and I'm well into stage 2 of recruitment with a large software consulting/outsourcing firm.
Is that the company in Germany?
Samegame wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:15 am
Hey Oliver! Sorry about not staying in contact last time you reached out, I was super fucking depressed. I miss the fuck out of you dude, is there a way we can keep in contact?
I rarely ever check facebook. I have telegram and whatsapp, if that's something you have as well ;).
Mp3 Lock wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:16 am
Covid sort of put all that on hold and now I am on a form of temporary paid leave, so I have a lot of free time at the moment.
Damn. I'm glad the company I work for put Home Office as priority #1 in February. Took about 2 weeks to build the infrastructure that allows us to work from home, so I've been doing that since March.

Peach
Site Admin

Post by Peach »

i don't like typing a lot of words so i'll summarise as accurately as i can

2011: started work on starbound
2012: immigrated (legally) to the US
2013: released starbound, rimworld
2014: became a millionaire at age 23

2014-2016: severe alcoholism while i sat around in a mansion in atlanta
mid 2016: diagnosed with stage 5 chronic kidney disease
late 2016: had a nervous breakdown. separated from wife, lost my house, lost my truck, lost most of everything in the near-divorce. workplace PTSD is real. get help if you can. it will ruin your life.

early 2018: formed my own company, started work on a new game for the first time in 4 years
mid 2018: began dialysis, got placed on the kidney transplant list. am still currently waiting for a transplant
late 2018: quit drinking, this time for good. fuck alcoholism

2019: had to have a hip replacement because my hip turned necrotic from kidney disease meds

april 2020: had a seizure while sitting at my desk. fell and hit my head and fractured my spine. wife found me convulsing on the floor with foam coming out of my mouth. had to be administered CPR. narrowly escaped permanent paralysis, luckily only one vertebrae was fractured and after surgery i'm back to normal and haven't lost any motion.

now, 2020: approaching a deal with a publisher for my new game. hopefully going to be the next chapter of my life

CloudLock

Post by CloudLock »

Starting with the 10s:
*Provided animation for a monkey-themed mobile game
*Got fired by Weebl like five times.
*Became the main animator for Darksquidge/TomSka's asdfmovie series and later Crash Zoom.
*Made a short that aired on Citv (accidentally installing a trojan on one of the computers at the studio I was working on it for)
*Did work experience on a kid's show that aired on CBeebies.
*The music video for Beep Beep I'm a Sheep was featured in Just Dance 2018, so yeh, my animation's in that.
*Another asdf music video I did was The Muffin Song, which really blew up on TikTok and managed to get a Gold Record (I don't get to keep it, tho)
*That Narwhals thing I did for Weebl ended up on a Sprint commercial in the US for some reason.
*Crossed a couple off the bucket list by visiting E3 in 2017 and going to Japan in 2018.
*Worked on an asdfmovie card game, Muffin Time, which should finally be getting sent out to people next month after obvious delays.

Aubergine

Post by Aubergine »

It's nice to see everyone doing alright, not bad for a group of 'orrible nerds. The LL is the only online community i've ever been a part of and i've known some of you many years, i'm pretty shite at staying in touch, don't have that much time to myself these days.

I moved in with my girlfriend back in January, just before lockdown and all this nonsense kicked in. We've been together 13 years, so it was way overdue, no marriage or kids just yet though! Holding that off for as long as possible. Right now i work in retail, not particularly fascinating but i can get away with doing the least amount of work whilst still getting paid. I joined a band in 2014 for a laugh, it's nothing huge but we travel up and down the country and it's quite a lot of fun. I just treat it as a hobby, unfortunately all the gigs we had lined up have been rescheduled until next year.

I don't do any art stuff or animation these days, glad a few of you have found a way to apply your skills towards a career of sorts. Never had the patience for it :?
Coffee wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:00 pm
I am an alcoholic who works in a bottleshop!
Normal Australian stuff then :lol: Crazy to think we joined about the same time in 2003.

Courgette

Post by Courgette »

Jezus Peach, that sounds like a tough ride. Hope you’re feeling well and happy now.

As for me, LL helped me realize I wanted to find a way to do creative stuff for a living. So through some twist and turns I’m now self-employed videographer / editor / allround motion graphics guy.

The work is fine and I feel free doing it. Though after 5 years fulltime I feel the urge to make a change. I’ve always wanted to dip into gamedesign as well so I’m thinking of trying some small side projects to see if it’s for me. It's daunting though.

Tldr; i make video for a living, it’s pretty nice